Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Stanley Market

Didn’t get to sleep until 4am so eventually woke at about 12, don’t think our body clocks have adjusted to Hong Kong time yet. We caught the free shuttle bus down to the ferry terminal and from there caught a ferry to Hong Kong Island. We eventually caught the number 6 bus to Stanley Market which is on the south side of Hong Kong Island. This entailed a rather bumpy ride over hills and mountains. I was glad Adam was sitting next to the window and not me as there were a number of sheer drops and we got quite close to them. One thing I noticed about the buses is that either my bum has got even bigger or the seats are just a lot smaller. So jealous of those petite Chinese women! After 45 minutes of a rather uncomfortable journey we arrived at picturesque Stanley and proceeded to find the market.














I was completely in my element. I went from stall to stall in awe of the fake shoes and fake designer handbags. Once we got to the end of the market we decided to stop for lunch and found a very nice sea front restaurant which served European and Indian food. I completely pigged out, i felt as though i had not eaten for days, ok slight exaggeration but this is how eating noodles since we arrived made me feel. Adam ordered an Australian ground beefburger and I had an Indian curry mix. I enjoyed every single mouthful and was sad to leave.
After re-energising we went back into the market to do some deals. I bought a beautiful silk red Chinese top which i bartered and got for £9 and some other bits and bobs. By now the market was starting to close so we grudgingly made our way back to the bus stop for a bumpy ride home.



After we got back to Kowloon we made our way to the Temple night market which is also known as the Man’s market. It is known as this as it is supposed to be “the place” to buy electronic goods. Well not quite what we were expecting. As we turned up we were confronted by people from every stall asking if we wanted a “copy watch”, if anyone else dares to ask me this question tomorrow i shall end up decking them as it started to get rather annoying. We walked past stall upon stall selling various items of no use really but still it was entertaining and we can now say we have been there, but don’t intend on ever going back.

All this walking had been making Adam and I very hungry so we looked for somewhere to stop and eat. We walked into a cafe which seemed very popular with the locals so we thought we would give it a try. Having looked at the menu I chose, can you guess? Yes noodles! The congee with frog didn’t look too good to me and I just wasn’t in the mood for something amphibian that night. Adam ordered beef on a bed of rice. When his dinner turned up it was a bit disappointing. He had 2 small bits of beef and something that looked like and tasted like beef jelly. As you can probably guess he didn’t finish it off. Luckily that meal with drinks only cost us £4 for the both of us.

We hope to find a better restaurant tomorrow!

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7440049.stm

Is this you?

Win