Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas and Boxing Day

Happy Xmas – It’s the 25th! Where has the year gone? I got up at about 8am to open the present I had bought myself-Kylie perfume (yes I know I’ve gone a bit Kylie mad). Adam had bought some Xbox games so he could play them on Frank’s Xbox but as a little something to open on xmas day I bought him 12 small metal ring puzzles – that should keep him out of my hair for a little while. For the girls just so they too had something for xmas day I gave them a Kylie vanity case filled with smellies and toiletries. So whilst everybody chilled I got started on the turkey. I have only ever done a proper christmas dinner once before as we normally always go to Adi’s (my brother in law) as he does the most fantastic spread, however this year it was all on me.



I started to prepare the turkey and even made my own stuffing. The worst part was definitely having to put my hand up the turkey to stuff it I’m just glad it had all been cleaned out prior. I was quite happy preparing everything in the kitchen whilst the girls decorated the table and Adam as you probably guessed was happy playing on the Xbox. So it got to about 1pm and it was time for lunch. We had turkey, carrots, peas, boiled potatoes, parsnips, 2 types of roasties (1 lot in vegemite just for Adam- they tasted surprisingly nice) and I even managed to find some sprouts which weren’t in season so were rationed to 2 per person.



For desert we had a traditional Christmas pudding or as the Aussie’s call it plum pudding which Jasmin and Annika had never had before and pretty much devoured between the 2 of them. After indulging in too much food we decided we would go over to Bondi Beach to see what was happening. We had been told that there was always a really good beach party on Christmas day but tickets were $75 each so we thought we would take a trip there to see if it was any good. When we turned up we expected the beach to be fenced off as that was what we had been told but no, it was open to the public, it was only a small section where the bars and pubs were that you needed a ticket for so we were very happy to be able to relax on the beach and to be able to say we went to Bondi on Christmas day.



After a while Adam and I decided to head home, the journey would usually take 1.5 hours so we always had to leave at a certain time as they normally closed Bondi junction train station at 12pm. The girls decided to stay and have a look around a bit more.
For Boxing Day Lisa had told us that there was a Sydney International Passport Horse Racing Day on and anyone with an international passport would get free entry. So Adam and I decided to go, we got all dressed up and made our way there to meet the girls. Adam and I had never been horse racing before so we were looking forward to this new experience. We arrived there and everyone looked very smart with a few exceptions where some people possibly backpackers had just turned up in shorts or jeans. We got a bite to eat and a few drinks and reviewed the form guide to see what horses to bet on.



We sought some advice from the cashier to how the betting worked and decided to splurge on our first bet, $2 each way so between the 2 of us it was a total of $8, our horses didn’t win. On the next go I bet $2 each way which was a total of $4 and I won- hold on before you all start to ask me for expert tips on horse racing I only won $3, but a win is a win, needless to say Adam and I betted a few more times only a couple of dollars each time and won nothing, however we all had a great day.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: